WordPress Theme Storefront should be retired.

KeČaTa Internet Community Forums KeČaTa Community Keith’s Internet Support Services Tasks WordPress Theme Storefront should be retired.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Keith Charlie Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 61.20

There is an update to WordPress Theme Storefront. But, there is no changelog in the repository. Subsequent investigations reveal that the theme appears to be an advert for WooThemes services. The WordPress Themes repository is an extract of the GitHub. As such, it isn’t impossible to review changelog prior to upgrading.

However, it’s tedious, so we need to investigate better alternatives to Storefront that conform to WordPress standards. Failing that, we should request that WooThemes include a link to their changelog in the WordPress repository.

Keith Charlie Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 61.20

The existing policy of creating child themes for every site has to stop. Our standard should be parent themes, with child themes as an added extra.

Therefore, customization has to be via snippets.

When we next add a theme, TagManager and our footer link should be added as a function or a plugin. If this is not straightforward, look at “white label” plugins.

Keith Taylor
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1015.48

To move quickly on this, I think it’s best to add functionality using established plugins. Then, we can review later to see if snippets or custom plugins are more efficient.

For Google TagManager, the best plugin seems to be DuracellTomi’s Google Tag Manager for WordPress. There is an enhancement for this for MultiSite networks: https://github.com/soderlind/gtm-multisite-admin

I’ll add that plugin, then test each site in our MultiSite network. During that test, I’ll revert to standard WordPress themes, where possible. Some websites have extra customization. In those cases, I’ll remove the TagManager changes. I’ll also remove the hosting link in the footer.

Adding a footer link in snippets is very straightforward. But, I’ll take a quick look at whitelabel plugins first.

Keith Taylor
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1015.48

All the white label plugins I looked at focus purely on the admin area. That’s understandable, but not relevant to what I want. Default is to add a network link to the front-end footer. At the moment, all websites need that link. If future clients pay extra, then possibly the link might be removed. That’s a future consideration.

For now, we’ll use Snippets to add a link:

add_action( 'wp_footer', 'kct_kecata_footer', 100 );
    function kct_kecata_footer() {
        echo '<p><a href="http://kecata.com">Fast Safe Managed WordPress Hosting at KeČaTa</a></p>';
    }

The 100 argument pushes the link further down the page, as that number increases. I’m aiming at this being the last line. So, I’ll introduce it at 999, then monitor as we enable new themes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You should Connect to KeČaTa to reply to this topic.

Simply click one of the buttons above to connect using your favorite network. Then, a box will appear here for you to post your reply.

Keith Charlie Taylor's     Internet Community