[Resolved] Website health checks June 4, 2016

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Charlie Taylor 2 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Keith Charlie Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 57.68

The health check raised the following issues:
    WordPress Plugins:
    Inline Google Spreadsheet Viewer using special version. Needs replacing before update.

Wordfence Blocked IP review
    Several throttled IP addresses. Will need separate investigation and action.

WP 404 Hacking Attempts:
    Many reported. Ignore until imported to network.

GSC Search Analytics Review:
    Despite page increase, slight fall in audience and CTR. No major concern, but advise CTR and old content review.

GSC Crawl Errors:
    Errors marked as fixed pending import.

GSC Google Index – Blocked Resources:
    Pages with blocked resources. Google won’t reveal page details, so assume these are now OK.

WP 404 Redirection (Safe crawler & genuine 404):
    Many reported. Ignore until imported to network.

Indexed To-Do Alerts:
    3 results for “To-Do Phrase”. 2 matched to relevant search phrases 7 resubmitted. 3rd has no relevant searches identified yet.

GSC HTML Improvements:
    Duplicate and Short meta descriptions found. Best dealt with after import.

Oldest Content
    Oldest Post: May 5 2011. Needs old content review.

Given that the planned import involves reorganization of the associated forum, I believe the best course of action is to import to KeČaTa as soon as possible. Then, content reviews can incorporate better forum links where appropriate.

The exception is changes required for the plugin change. I think it is best to update the plugin and shortcodes before importing.

Anna
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 48.15

That all looks good except a couple of points:

The health check raised the following issues:
    WordPress Plugins:
    Inline Google Spreadsheet Viewer using special version. Needs replacing before update.

Wordfence Blocked IP review
    Several throttled IP addresses. Will need separate investigation and action.

I can see that the throttled IP addresses should really be blocked at source. However, given the backlog in reporting and blocking suspicious IPs, couldn’t we take the same approach as 404 errors? i.e. Ignore them all for now, then start blocking again as necessary after the import.

I’m more concerned about the problems upgrading Inline Google Spreadsheet Viewer. It’s a fantastic way of displaying long HTML Tables. Yet, it was never designed for just that. It seems overkill for simple table sorting and pagination. Perhaps there are alternatives?

Keith Charlie Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 57.68

Brilliant idea about leaving the throttled IPs for now. Chances are, they’ve either been blocked in KeČaTa. Or, they’re no longer a threat. We know we’re secure, so the extra benefit of blocking at source isn’t worth the effort for now. Thanks for that 🙂

You’ve read my mind about Inline Google Spreadsheet Viewer. It uses jQuery DataTables library to do everything we want. There’s a plugin WP jQuery DataTable, which uses the same library. I’ve already tested it on the existing data, and it works absolutely fine. I just need to replace the shortcodes on 16 pages, then I’m ready to import.

I’ve marked this support ticket as resolved. I’ll do the import, then redo the health checks next week.

One more off the list 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You should Connect to KeČaTa to reply to this topic.

Simply click one of the buttons above to connect using your favorite network. Then, a box will appear here for you to post your reply.

Safe Managed WordPress