Improve Redirection management in Website Quality Check

Home Forums KeČaTa Community Keith’s Internet Support Services Tasks Improve Redirection management in Website Quality Check

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Anna
    Keymaster
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 48.15

Currently, the Website Quality check reviews Redirects in the Redirection WordPress Plugin. The check removes old redirections if they have not been active for three months.

This is useful for removing clutter on the Redirects list. However, I’d like to go further. The Redirection Log shows where current redirections have come from. I think it would be very useful to check these, and correct any Referrers where possible.

It would mean increasing the Log from it’s current 1 Week setting. I suggest 2 Months. Or, it could be set to Forever, then clear the log after it has been Quality Checked.

Keith Taylor
    Ŧallars: Ŧ 1004.51

In my log for the Redirection plugin, I see lots of errors for wp-admin. But these are within various sub-folders. So far, I see hits almost every day for:

/wp​/wp-admin​/
    ​/wordpress​/wp-admin​/
    ​/test​/wp-admin​/
    /blog​/wp-admin​/
    ​/old​/wp-admin​/

Do you know why I keep getting these hits, and what should I do about them?

——————————————————–
    I moved this here from the old forum. Raised by our health website client.

Keith Taylor

I’ve realized, managing the redirection plugin is easy if you keep on top of it. But, older sites soon become overwhelming, if 404 errors are left unmanaged.

So, first thing is to focus on priorities. These very from site to site. But, groups are:-
    – Quality
    – Security
    – Trash

I’ll get trash out of the way first. Then, I’ll add a separate reply for Quality and Security issues. Finally, I’ll generate blog posts that explain the features and benefits of the WordPress Redirection Plugin for website management. This will probably be 2 separate posts for website security checks, and website quality checks.

Deleting trash mainly involves searching for certain URLs. However, I’ve noticed the 404 logs often get overloaded by Bingbot and Yahoo search engine crawlers. That’s OK if you get significant traffic from these search engines. If not, these can be deleted en masse. Unfortunately, Redirection doesn’t allow referrer search. So, I often use database searches to clear these. But, that’s beyond the scope of this discussion.

The trash searches are:
    /page/ – I also clear these from Google Crawl Errors, as they can’t be individually redirected on dynamic websites. There will not be significant traffic for these. But, if you want to be thorough, do a Google Search Console Page Analytics check first (that could be a premium quality check service).

= – In Google Crawl Error check, I check URL parameters before deleting these.

Now, it’s time to manage the remainder. Assuming you still have thousands of 404s from a neglected website, try sorting by referrer. This identifies fake crawlers (part of the security checks), as well as fixable 404s (quality) that are often easiest to fix.

Before I do that, I’m going to compare my long 404 list to the shorter list from Google Search Console Crawl Errors.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Keith Taylor. Reason: Clarified my next step - Google Crawl Errors

Keith Taylor

Redirection Plugin Quality Checks
    Preparation for my first quality check is to sort the 404 log in URL order. Then, apply the same sort to Google Crawl Errors.

Having started this, I’ve realized some complexities with URL parameters and wildcard redirects. This needs a step by step solution that starts before clearing out the trash.

I’ll return to Redirection Plugin Quality Checks on my next visit.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You should Connect to KeČaTa to reply to this topic.

Simply click one of the buttons above to connect using your favorite network. Then, a box will appear here for you to post your reply.

Safe Managed WordPress